- "I can't believe Michael betrayed us again. Why is it always the ones you most expect?"
A CHANGE IN PLANS SENDS EVERYONE SCRAMBLING — Michael (Ted Danson) receives a surprise visitor. Meanwhile, Eleanor (Kristen Bell), Chidi (William Jackson Harper), Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jason (Manny Jacinto) attempt to solve a riddle.
Shawn arrives with news for Michael: because Michael's experiment has been such a success, they are both to be promoted, and the "Good Place" model will be replicated across more neighborhoods, with Michael overseeing the entire project. Neighborhood 12358W will be dismantled and its current human residents examined, then sent to a traditional Bad Place neighborhood to be tortured for all eternity.
With Shawn still present, Michael goes through the motions of telling the humans that they have been in the Bad Place all along, and they pretend to be surprised. Afterwards, they discuss how to escape. Tahani and Jason favour taking a train to The Medium Place (though as Janet has been temporarily incapacitated with magnetic bracelets which cannot be removed by humans, this option appears unavailable to them), while Chidi would rather use their knowledge of the 800 failed attempts as a bargaining chip. Eleanor takes a different approach, suggesting that they trust Michael not to betray them. She notes that Michael mentioned Kierkegaard in his gloating speech to them, and believes it is a coded message, telling them to take a "leap of faith" (or "leap into faith", as Chidi insists on correcting the phrase to.)
Michael throws a roast for the four humans, followed by a last-night party for the demons during which they trash the neighborhood. Eleanor is ready to admit she was wrong, when she realises that the roast was also a way of dropping hints about how they could save themselves.
At the end of the party, Shawn sees the train leaving, headed for The Medium Place. He tells Michael that the humans have bought some time but will ultimately be returned to The Bad Place for torture, before leaving on another train along with the demons. When the train pulls away, the humans are revealed to have been hiding under it. Eleanor explains how Michael's roast included clues that they should use Derek to drive a decoy train away, and then hide under Shawn's train, where they would be safe from detection by Bad Janet. Michael in turn explains how he framed Vicky for aiding their "escape". Michael frees Janet from the magnetic bracelets.
In the final scene, Derek arrives at Mindy St. Claire's house with a note from Eleanor telling Mindy that in gratitude for her help, the humans have sent Derek as a willing sex robot, along with two large bags of cocaine. Mindy smiles and welcomes Derek into her house.
Additional cast Edit
- Marc Evan Jackson as Shawn
- Tiya Sircar as Vicky
- Jason Mantzoukas as Derek
- Maribeth Monroe as Mindy St. Claire
- Steve Berg as Gunnar
- Amy Okuda as Gayle
- Joe Mande as Toddrick Hemple
- "When you proposed this new form of torture, we all laughed behind your back. Some people called you names, like "the Thomas Edison of incompetence" or "that dick""
- Mindy (reading the note Eleanor sent her) — "Thanks for helping us all those times we showed up. To repay you, here's a willing sex robot and two duffel bags full of cocaine"
- Derek — "There are wind chimes where my ding dong should be"
- Mindy — "I can work with that"
- Derek — "All right!"
- The scene where Derek comes to see Mindy St. Claire, takes place right after The Season 2 Bloopers.
At the party, DJ Bad Janet plays "She Hates Me" by Puddle of Mudd, and "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" by Elmo and Patsy. And for a finale, both at the same time.