"I'm getting a stomachache. I'm in a perfect utopia, and I'm... I have a stomachache. This is awful. "
Chidi was born in Nigeria and raised in Senegal. He was a Professor of Moral Philosophy and worked in several countries, including spells teaching at the Sorbonne in Paris, France (where Tahani was a student, though presumably not on his course) and at St. John's University in Sydney, Australia. He is a kind and extremely intelligent guy.  His indecisiveness is cited to be the reason why he was sent to the Bad Place, as his inability to make a decision caused pain and tortured everyone he loved. His very presence in the Bad Place was to annoy Eleanor and to get her to 'study' moral ethics but his destiny in Michael`s torture vision was unsuccessful as he actually succeeded in making Eleanor a good person. This is evident when she owns up to being the 'problem' in the 'Good Place'.
"Principles aren't principles when you pick and choose when you're gonna follow them!"
- Chidi suffers from a condition called "Directional Insanity" and once got lost on an escalator.
- From his point of view, everyone around him is speaking French because the neighborhood Michael created translates everything into the language each individual person is most comfortable with. He probably doesn't need it to understand the other humans, as he evidently spoke English well enough to teach at English-speaking universities, though communicating with the other neigborhood residents (who may not speak human language at all) may be a different matter.
- Despite being a Professor of Moral Philosophy and so in theory the human with the best chance of realising that "The Good Place" is really The Bad Place, in all of Michael's 802 attempts, he is never the one who figures it out.
- He frequently gets stomachaches when confronted with choices or stressful situations.
- He once missed his mother's back surgery because he promised his landlord's nephew that he would help him program his phone on the day of her surgery.
- Due to his inability to make simple choices, he made the lives of those around them miserable, earning him a spot in the bad place.
- When he went to The Bad Place in "Rhonda, Diana, Jake and Trent", a demon confused Chidi for another demon named Trent. From this point on, this was his alias for the episode.